Feb. 27, 2021 (Ontario) – Orillia OPP in Ontario are warning of several scams in the Orillia-area.
The OPP offer the following fraud protection tips:
- Legitimate businesses and services do not accept payment by gift cards or crypto-currency (Bitcoin for example). If you are asked to pay by any means other than traditional currency, it is most likely a fraud.
- The police will not contact you to immediately pay a fine. In these cases, the caller can sound very convincing and can be very demanding.
- If you receive an incoming call from what you believe is a legitimate business or service, always verify the organization by calling back on a phone number that you know is valid for that organization. Scammers can “spoof” phone numbers to appear to represent a legitimate business.
- When responding to online ads, never send money in advance. The best practice is to meet face to face in a safe location and exchange the product for payment in person.
- If receiving funds by cheque, always ensure that your financial institution clears the transaction prior to utilizing the funds.
Barrie 360 reports. | READ MORE