Well dressed Toronto tenant acquitted of assault, still facing fraud charges

Supported By:

Net Patrol International Inc.  Data Investigation and Forensic Services
Bankruptcy and Insolvency Trustees

The well-dressed, well-known Toronto tenant James Regan was found not guilty of assaulting a former landlord, but his substantial legal troubles are far from over.

Regan was acquitted on the charge last September. Lawyer Michael Fairney, who represented him, recently informed CBC of the judge’s decision. CBC Toronto has also confirmed with police that Regan is scheduled to go to trial on fraud charges next September.

He’s is alleged to have fraudulently lived rent-free in at least three high-end Toronto apartments since 2014, as CBC Toronto first reported in 2016.

The 64-year-old is also accused of schemes to get free cars and and furniture.

Described in media reports as a “society crasher” and Toronto’s “classiest con man,” he has allegedly talked his way into some of the city’s most exclusive clubs and events.

But he spent much of 2017 behind bars.

On Sept. 24, 2016, the day after CBC Toronto first reported the allegations against him, his former landlord Lucy Chik confronted him about unpaid rent.

The confrontation led to an assault charge against Regan for allegedly punching and kicking Chik.

Fairney said after he brokered a plea deal, he “insisted on going to trial to clear his name.”

As he awaited trial, he was found guilty of breaching his bail conditions and spent six months in jail.

Fairney said the court found Regan attempted “indirect communication” with one of the witnesses in the case, another former landlord Robin Ennis.

Last September, after a one-day trial, Justice S. Ford Clements found Regan not guilty of assault.

“Mr. Regan, although a man with an awful reputation, is not a danger to anyone,” Fairney said in a statement to CBC Toronto.

Regan’s next test will be the serious fraud allegations he’s facing in relation to unpaid rent.

After a series of CBC Toronto stories about him living for free at multiple Toronto addresses, police charged him on August 23, 2017 with three counts of fraud over $5,000.

According to his lawyer, he intends to plead not guilty when the case goes to trial in September.

Read the full story over at CBC News.

This story was summarized by Canadian Fraud News Inc.